DNA research is an exciting development for family history and genealogy. That is why I have recently launched a DNA Project to discover more about people called Cumberbatch.
Discover your Cumberbatch ancestry, your roots and your genetic cousins.
The Cumberbatch DNA ProjectDNA is a new way to discover your Cumberbatch ancestors and your genetic roots. Join the project and discover your genetic roots.
Order your Family Tree DNA kit today at the Family Tree DNA Project website: Cumberbatch DNA Project
Then click on "Join Request" in the menu bar.The project is open to anyone wishing to discover their Cumberbatch genetic roots.
Y-DNA tests are for men only and will identify the male paternal line only. Conventionally this is where your surname is inherited. It discovers the genetic roots of a man’s father’s, father’s father and so on; regardless of which surname is being used. You are encouraged to take a 37 marker Y-DNA test.
- Men with the surname Cumberbatch, Comberbach, Cumberpatch, Cumberbeach, Cumberlege, Cumberledge, Cumberledge
Men who are:
- A descendant of Edward Carleton/Carlton of Barbados or any descendants of his male ancestors
- A descendant of Charles Cave, son of Lawrence Trent Cumberbatch and Annie Cave.
- A descendant of Roger Comberbach, 1758-1814 of Cheshire, who became Roger SWETENHAM; this branch stretches back to Roger Comberbach of Nantwich whose will was proved in 1602/3.
- Any male descended from Shuffler; of Barbados
- Men believed to be a direct male descendant from a Cumberbatch are encouraged to test
- If you are female you need to get a direct male line relative, meeting the above criteria, to participate
What is in it for you?
- Genetic MatchesDo you have any Genetic Cousins? Genetic matches are your Genetic Cousins who share the same direct paternal line for Y-DNA tests or maternal line for mtDNA tests. You will have access to your matches's e-mail addresses and family history information that they have provided. You can begin exchanging information as soon as your results arrive.
- Ancestral OriginsYour paternal and/or maternal ancestral origins, listed by country, which provides clues to your own recent geographic and ethnic ancestry. The surname Cumberbatch originated in England and in Barbados. Migration has brought the surname name back to England and brought it to USA, Canada, Panama, Guyana and South America.
- HaplogroupThis is your place on the genetic tree of humankind. Do you have European or African Ancestry? Being of black ancestry is no guarantee of having African genetic roots.
- Migration Map and Frequency MapInteractive maps detail the ancient migrations of your ancestors and the distribution of your haplogroup from more recent times.
- Y-DNA/mtDNA Certificate>This is a printable certificate that includes your name and your marker values.
- UpdatesAs our database grows, you will receive notifications about new Genetic Cousin matches.
- Preferential Rates Cumberbatch DNA Project members receive special rates for testing